New Vaccination Policy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

StJohnOnline.ca / CadetsOnline.ca » Active Discussions - Therapy Dog Focus » New Vaccination Policy « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Caroline Spielmann
Username: Maggie

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just discovered the new vaccination policy on my last visit here. Since we've been without a Coordinator in Hudson Division for quite a while, information hasn't been filtering down to the Assistant level...another reason I'm so glad I discovered the information on this site.

I'd really like to congratulate SJA on being so forward-thinking and changing the requirement for yearly vaccines. I've had many a potential volunteer decide not to enter the program when they found out about the previous yearly requirement.

I have a nine-year old Therapy Dog with some health concerns that I just wasn't willing to vaccinate yearly anymore and I was going to be forced to withdraw her from the program. I also have a three-year old dog who's been vaccinated yearly to date but, again, was seriously wondering how long I'd be willing to do this just to keep her in the program. I am delighted not to have to make these decisions anymore.

I know that a lot of my volunteers have been very unhappy having to give yearly vaccines to their dogs and they will be ecstatic to hear about this change.

Maybe someone can clarify part of the Standard regarding dogs new to the program for me? It says "New dogs entering the program must have a current certificate for Rabies and the "core" vaccinations before they can be accepted into the program."

By "current certificate", is it referring to one issued within the last three years or do new dogs need vaccinations within the year before they join the program?

Terry Fast
Username: T_fast

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New dogs entering our Program should have a veterinary certificate which is not more than 1 year old. The reason being that we not only want to ensure that this dog's vaccinations are recent, but also to ensure that the dog is healthy and free of illness or injury before starting with our organization. Although the handler may be enthusiastic to join Therapy Dogs, the dog may have a medical history which may prevent the dog from participating. As a matter of interest, I will be meeting with you on November the 16th, and will have the opportunity to review specifics of the Program. I look forward to meeting you then.

Caroline Spielmann

Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more question about vaccines if you can stand it! If a new dog has had a 3-year rabies shot and that three years is not yet up, does he need to be revaccinated?

From speaking to my vet, I understand that rabies vaccine is labelled on the bottle as either having a one-year or three-year protection. Revaccinating a dog whose 3-year shot hadn't yet run out might not be wise and vets might be hesitant to do this. As long as the same dog has had the other core vaccines (parvo, aednovirus and distemper) within the previous year, is this acceptable? The dog would have been to the vet for these vaccines and would have had a health check at that time.

Leah Wiebe
Username: Madison

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there! Just was informed of this site today by my Co, and was very pleased to see one just for us! The vaccination change was in part due to me, as it was my dog that had the severe reaction to the vaccine this year. I almost lost her as a matter of fact. My Vet was very kind to write up a letter for me to send to Mr.Cole and it was reviewed by their Vets and this was the outcome. I'm so very pleased! And thank you all! I love this program and find it very rewarding and now I can stay with it! We will check my poochies blood levels now to ensure we never have another round of huff and puff as it was extremely frightening for us. I look forward to hearing more views on the program and I'm glad to share anything I can!

Terry Fast
Username: Terry_fast

Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Leah, I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying participating in the St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program.

Ontario Council received feedback from various members concerning our vacination policy. After consultation with both Provincial and District Therapy Dog Staff Officers, our recommendations were forwarded to National Council. The result was a revised policy mandating that all Therapy Dogs in the program be vacinated every 3 years as part of our risk management objectives.

It is important to note that at this time, blood titres do not replace the need for all dogs to be vacinated on a 3 year schedule.

James Davis
Username: Jim_davis

Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All;
I have a few web sites to share with you all regarding the over vaccination practice conducted by our veterinarians in this country. I do hope you will read, and educate yourself in regards to this topic.
I will only post a few sites at this time, however; if anyone is interested I have dozens more for you to explore. All links are from "very credible" sourses.
Some of these sites are:

http://www.access1.net/via/PETS/pets.htm

http://www.positivehealth.com/permit/Articles/Animals/horses .htm

http://members.aol.com/abywood/www/vac_myth.htm

I hope this is appropriate to post and that you all will read these links.
Thank you
Jim Davis

Anne Cepukas
Username: Anne

Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very pleased to get such great information from this site. I have an overweight , 8 year old SHIH TZU that is having a hard time with needles. This is truly an incredible program and without it both LUCY and I would be heartbroken. Lucy knows where we are going when I get her scarf and I.D. badge out. I am always amazed at the amount of happiness such a simple task can create..

Leah Wiebe
Username: Madison

Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the very informative links regarding
vaccines Mr. Davis. Have you ever gotten the flu shot? I did once, and will never do that again. I was so sick from it. But the medical world insists that you cannot get the flu from getting the shot. I did. So I wonder if my dogs feel that ill every time she/he receives a shot? I will definately need to do more reading and be fully convinced before we just go re-vaccinate. Interestingly, she also has had skin itching ever since then.
Thanks again.

James Davis

Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All;
Glad some of you enjoyed my last post about over vaccination practices in Canada. I have been researching this issue of over vaccination for over three years now. I do not profess to know everything about this topic, however; I have learned a lot over the past 3 years.
Below in a few more links for you to bookmark and study.

http://www.api4animals.org/doc.asp?ID=858

http://www.vaccines.net/newpage114.htm\

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petvacc.htm

The link below is for those of us who RAW feed our companion animals.

http://catatonic.freeservers.com/holistic.html

I hope you all gain some valuable in site from these links.
Thanks for listening!
Jim Davis

Anne Cepukas
Username: Anne

Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR TERRY??? OUR VET IN BLYTH SAYS THAT SHE HAS A THREE YEAR CORE VACCINE(WHICH SHE RECOMMENDS HIGHLY). THE PROBLEM WE HAVE IS-- SHE CAN'T GIVE US A LETTER STATING SAME, BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SAY SO ON THE BOTTLE. WOULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME SOME GUIDANCE AS TO WHAT WE SHOULD DO NOW.

Terry Fast

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anne, I would ask your vet when I would be required to re-vacinate my dog. If the vet gives you a vaccination certificate stating that the dog needs to be re-vacinated in 3 years then you meet the required standard. If the vet is administering a 3 year vaccine, I am at a loss to understand why they would not give you a certificate stating same? If the dog is vaccinated you will be covered for one year anyway, and also meet our standard. But, the question then would be, do you have to re-vacinate, again next year? Hopefully my teleconference will clear up some of the vaccinations issues.

James Davis

Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All;
Due to having a sick Malamute and St. John's policies regarding the "core" vaccinations of our Therapy dogs; I have to notify you all about my resignation from the program as Therapy Dog Program Coordinator for the Woodstock/Oxford County area.
It is with a heavy heart that I do this. These "core" vaccinations are not mandatory by our government and I do not believe them to be of any benefit too our companion animals or too the welfare of the people we visit with our Therapy Dogs.
If these vaccination policies should ever change, and I hope they do, then I would be delighted too come back to this program .

Until then ?
Jim Davis

Carolyn Brophy
Username: Cbrophy

Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry when are you having the teleconference?

Carolyn Brophy

Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are other vets using a vaccine that is good for three years for the core vaccinations? Could you tell us (Annne and I) what the name of the vaccination is? Since the vaccine used by the Blyth vet only says that it is good for one year that is all she will certify it for.

Caroline Spielmann

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is my understanding that you do not need a certificate from the vet guaranteeing that the core vaccines (DHPP) are "good" for three years. All you need is a certificate showing that the dog has been vaccinated for DHPP every three years.

As you've seen, you won't get a certificate because the drug company labelling still calls for yearly administration. I wasn't aware that there were any DHPP vaccines in Canada labelled to be administered every three years. If your vet actually had one, she would have no problem issuing a certificate.

Most vets won't even verbally tell you that the vaccine is good for more than one year. If they do, it is called "off label" prescribing and they can be held liable if anything should go wrong. My vet wouldn't commit herself any further than to say that the "new protocols put forth by the American Association of Veterinary Hospitals make a lot of sense (vaccinations at 3-year intervals after puppy shots) and that hopefully they will come to Canada soon". I'm betting your vet knows the one-year vaccine is actually good for a lot longer than one year which is why she told you this, but she won't put it in writing because of the labelling and liability issues.

Even if the vet agrees with 3-year vaccination, most will not recommend it (except for rabies). At this point in time, it has to be a decision made by the dog's owner. All the research and testing is there in the States to fully back up 3 year vaccines (or even longer intervals) and the US has switched over. Canada is always a little slower to catch up. The OVA's stand is that, other than rabies, other vaccine intervals should be discussed on an individual basis with your vet.

Terry Fast

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carolyn, the National Teleconference was held on Monday November 24. Most of the discussion was focused on ways to minimize the risk of salmonella contamination with respect to dogs on a raw food diet. It was agreed that a zero tolerance risk approach would not serve us well therefore extra precautions should be taken when it comes hygiene and cleanliness. It was also agreed that a National committee would be formed to draft a method of assessing the risk involved and then determining a process to address those needs as required.

Unfortunately, there was no discussion with respect to our new vaccine protocol. Have you asked your vet whether they would sign a 3 year certificate? With changes in policy by AAHA my vet has changed over to the 3 year vaccination policy. I will try and contact him for clarification and/or what the name of the vaccine is.

Carolyn Brophy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry thank you for answering so quickly. The situation is as Caroline Spielmann describes above. The vet, a lady whose name I believe is Dr. Day (sorry I can't get you that information but I am in Georgia) recommends the core vaccinations be given every three years, but will not sign anything to say that the dog is covered for three years. I think the difficulty lies in the words of the information sheet from SJA which say a three year certificate for core vaccinations. If we (Anne &I ) know a dog was vaccinated in Dec. 02 should we request a new vaccination certificate? When Brian Cole attended our board meeting he said that we should. It is very confusing.There is only one vet clinic in Blyth called the Blyth Vet Clinic so I don't think you will have any difficulty contacting them. The Clinton Vet Clinic was also very interested in helping us. They are of course located in Clinton Ontario. Thank you for helping us with this matter.

Carolyn Brophy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, is Carolyn Spielman's first sentence in post number four above correct?If not please give the the name and address of the person/persons who made up the policy re the three year core vaccinations so I can get in touch with them and clear up this matter. Thank you for your time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration