Call out or call in Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

StJohnOnline.ca / CadetsOnline.ca » Active Discussions - Emergency Response » Call out or call in « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

john Docherty RRT
Intermediate Member
Username: Jpdocherty

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If St. John Ambulance is part of a community response plan (which most are)should we wait to be called or be more proactive and call in? The last major problem that we in St. Thomas were asked to assist with,was an apartment fire in which two people died. We were not activated till 8 hr later and still ended up treating 1 cardiac, 2 diabetics and 1 respiratory problem. Should we be more active and call in to assist the displaced or injured? What do you think?

Alex Kroeze
Username: Akroeze

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, cuz then it comes down to deciding when to call in? If you start calling in every week (exaggeration) then they will start to get annoyed with you and not take you seriously.

I would suggest putting effort into liasing and educating the powers that be as to our role and services and what we can do as an immediate response.

john Docherty RRT
Intermediate Member
Username: Jpdocherty

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont mean the every day run-of-the-mill problems,Im talking Missassaga (how do you spell that)train derailment, ice storm, major power outage, 5 story apartment fire, 50 car pileups on 401 type problems.

Michael Lawrence, RN
Advanced Member
Username: Spud

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mississauga

Alex Kroeze
Username: Akroeze

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, but they might think it a bit presumptious. I would say whatever you arrange with your local emergency planning office.

With all of the incidents listed, proper knowledge on the part of the powers that be in your area would be enough as they would know to call you. At the same time, if you're driving from a duty and see an apartment structure on fire I would see no problem with stopping and offering services.

Paul W. J. Irwin
Advanced Member
Username: Pirwin

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If SJA assistance is required in an event that impacts our community, such as an Emergency or Disaster, St. John Ambulance can be called upon by the community to assist within our training and scope. If any number of Member(s) are called upon. There must be a call made to inform the Provincial and/or District and/or Administrative Centre Emergency Management Coordinator that applies. One call will ensure that the chain of communications is started. Our community may not be limited to the local community. SJA is an International organization, and will assist where there is need, if we are asked to do so, and can do so.

The governing Provincial Plan for Onatrio(currently under revision) applies to all responses, and subordinate plans, in the Province of Ontario. The National plan governs all Provincial and Territorial Plans.

In an Emergency, in Ontario, call the Provincial Emergency Response Services Pager at 1 888 249 8531. Calls from outside of Ontario will be accepted and directed appropriately.

"BE GOOD ALL DAY"
Paul W. J. Irwin
District Emergency Management Coordinator
St. John Ambulance Saint-Jean
Central Ontario District, Emergency Response Services
email: PIrwin@on.sja.ca
My web card: www.ureach.com/pwjirwin
In an Emergency, call the Provincial Emergency Response Services Pager at 1 888 249 8531
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sjab_cod/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration