East Asia Tsunami Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

StJohnOnline.ca / CadetsOnline.ca » Active Discussions - Emergency Response » East Asia Tsunami « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Rumble, RPN
Username: Mrumble

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure by now you've all heard about the tsunami which has devastated East Asia. I know many of you out there would want to go and help. Maybe we can discuss ways to help in the name of St. John locally to send relief or materials to the affected areas (or ways in which your division already is helping). There are 50 000 St. John volunteers in Sri Lanka, 2 000 DIVISIONS of St. John in India (over 10 000 cadets alone), and 60 000 St. John members in Malaysia. These areas have had many deaths, and we can only pray for the safety of our fellow members living there. International St. John relief is coming in with volunteers from Austrailia at this time. As I write this posting, the lives claimed from this disaster is now being reported at well over 100 000.

Paul W. J. Irwin
Username: Pirwin

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 07:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having communicated directly with Sajeevan, a St. John Member in Colombo Sri Lanka, only hours after the event, I agree that anything done by the Members here in support of all those effected will be welcome.

Chuck McCormack
Username: Chuck

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with the two previous posts.
There have been many inquiries from within SJA as to how we can help.
I plan on exploring the feasibility of doing a fund raiser within the Toronto Administration Centre and am sure that all of our membership will participate in some way.
I would also hope that something will be done at the Provincial level as well.
I will keep you updated as to what we are doing within Toronto.

Chuck McCormack SBStJ
Regional Community
Services Coordinator
Toronto

Paul W. J. Irwin
Username: Pirwin

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update from Sajeevan, SJA Colombo Sri Lanka... in his own words with regards to the response and situation...

"I don't know how we Sri Lankans will return this help. We all Sri Lankans are so very thankfull to you all. Thank-you very much."

"...deaths are about 35,000 here. In Sri Lanka, approximately 315,000 families are homeless (destroyed). Villages and City infrastructure is destroyed. Un warned that there is possibility of infection in North East Sri Lanka as many dead bodies have not been recoered in last 5 days. All water by the sea is poluted. We don't know what to do."

"I am frustrated with this tsunami, not me, all people got frustrated with this tsunami"

"I am happy that there is a friend who cares for us, without knowing us, our colour, race... again, thank-you very much."

"Oh sorry... Happy New Year.. good night."

Sajeevan G, Colombo Sri Lanka. January 1st, 2005 0056 hrs.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration