Haiti earthquake Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

StJohnOnline.ca / CadetsOnline.ca » Active Discussions - Emergency Response » Haiti earthquake « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ryan Mclean
Username: Ryan_mclean

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was wondering if there are any international opportunities for relief efforts. i have been interested in doing some relief work for sja. but at the local level the opportunity never really presents its self. my question is who would i need to speak with?

Mike Rumble, ACPf, SBStJ
Username: Mrumble

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ryan, I'm sure you're not the only person with this question and, having worked with you in the past during the evacuations, I'm sure you could be a great help. All of us, as emergency responders, are faced with the urge to help where we feel we are desperately needed. My answer is both to you and to others who may be reading this.

From an emergency response standpoint, brining in volunteers presents more logistical concerns. Concerns regarding housing, food, water and security must be addressed (and these are some of the basic services that cannot be presently provided to the population). Already in Haiti, there are concerns about medical teams who have responded without being self-sufficient. CNN is reporting a field hospital that had to be shut down due to security concerns. I could go on, but I hope I am making a clear picture that volunteers are appreciated, but must be managed carefully.

When St. John receives a request to provide volunteers for disaster relief, it is passed up the chain of command through local to provincial and national levels, and then passed back down to see who will answer the call. We must all have patience during these times to see if and when our assistance may be requested. Right now, nationally-trained (often military) SAR and medical teams are obviously the correct first choices... they're self-sufficient and good at what they do. Haiti is not going to be "fixed" in the near future; they have years of work ahead of them. We're still in the first days of this disaster.

My suggestion to all of you who want to help: inform your Divisional Superintendent or Divisional Emergency Management Coordinator of your desire to help. Perhaps, at the local level, you can make a list of members who would be willing to pitch in. Your DS will disseminate information as it is given to them.

If you feel the need to do something right now, please donate what you can. Money moves faster than old blankets that nobody wanted in the first place (unless you've been asked for specific supplies).

Mike Rumble, ACPf, SBStJ
Username: Mrumble

Post Number: 180
Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a follow up, the Montreal Gazette reports: "St. John Ambulance is sending volunteer first responders and needs $250,000 for food, water and equipment. Call 1-888-840-5646 or donate online via CanadaHelps.org. Cheques payable to "St. John AmbulanceŚProject Haiti" sent to St. John Ambulance -- Ha´ti Mission, 529 Jarry Street East, Suite 401, Montreal (Quebec) H2P 1V4"

While I have no information on this, you might want to keep posted both here and at your divisional level to see what might develop.

Ryan Mclean
Username: Ryan_mclean

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as with anything else time to play the waiting game. thanks mike.

Michael Lawrence, RN
Username: Spud

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is interested in donating funds to our own organization in support of the Haiti relief effort, you can make a secure online donation through the www.sja.ca webpage or by going to www.Canadahelps.org directly and searching for St. John Ambulance. You can specify funds to go directly to the Haiti relief effort.

I encourage everyone to think about the plight of those in Haiti and give what they can to the organization they feel will make the most impact.

Yours in St. John,
Michael

Rob White
Username: Rob_white

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. John is working on a National strategy to support those in need in Haiti. There will be support at a national level but the safety of our volunteers is paramount. Expect future communications on our involvement understanding it will be part of a national response on behalf of St. John and will be designed to leverage our strengths.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration