PUBLIC DUTY PROTOCOL Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

StJohnOnline.ca / CadetsOnline.ca » Divisional Training Plans / Shares » PUBLIC DUTY PROTOCOL « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hal Rowan
Username: Hrowan

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Cadet told me they could not find a list of what they should do, Before, During and After, a duty while researching on this web site. I thought this was a good idea. This attachment is by no means a complete list, but it will give rookie Cadets a quick snap shot of what they can do to be prepared. If you check out the manuals area, I'm pretty sure there is a more comprehensive list there. The AMFR course has a component on Mobile First Aid Posts and regular First Aid Posts. Your MFR instructors can provide you with that type of information if you would like.

application/mswordPUBLIC DUTY PROTOCOL
PUBLIC DUTY PROTOCOL.doc (23.0 k)

Heather Oliver
Intermediate Member
Username: Heather29

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for posting this this isa good idea and i could use it when and if i get the cadets going in fort erie

Hal Rowan

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At what stage of the game are you at in getting your Youth Unit off the ground?

Martin
Username: Marty

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, I hear ya! I have been working to get my division organized since May. No easy task, let me tell you. But, having been through the program myself many years ago I have somewhat of an idea of how it should go. One challenge I am finding very difficult is recruiting. Have you had any luck in this?

Heather Oliver
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 05:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hal i am at the stage where i have to start all over. i need to make a proposal to send to ontario council to get the approval of ontario council to get the cadets going. i could use any help with budgets etc that i can get. Martin i havne't done much recruiting but at a craft show i am doing this weekend i am gonna sell some stuff so i can start advertising and also have stuff to put on my table to help get cadets. Any help from anyone i would greatly appreciate it.

Martin

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, the biggest challenge yet will be to start recruiting. Here is what I have planned for my crusader division for next year. We are going to create a presentation to bring into the schools. Of course, this requires approval from the school board first, then the individual school principal. It will be kept short, but information will be left for students interested. As well, i am planning to have an open house, where kids and parents can come out see what it is we actually do in our community. You should have no problem getting approval. Use ALL available resources, both within and outside of St. John. This will help tremendously. As for a budget, I need to work on mine for next year (mine already existed for this year). Included will be uniforms, training materials, and of course a camp or two! We are all here for ya if you need advice or anything. Just ask!

Hal Rowan

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a template I can send you to assist with your budget. I have recently revised it since my last submission and worked out all the bugs. It is in Excel format and you just fill in the blanks. On the master sheet it adds up all your entries and presents them on the main page. I have cut and pasted in the branch order form and separated the sections into Uniforms, First Aid supplies, Social, and Training, plus the master sheet.
This format allows you to get pre-approval from your Board/Branch on what you plan to spend money on over the next year. They can then adjust your numbers if neccessary and then send you back the approved budget. During the course of the year I have another template that tracks your budget spending. It adds up the money you spend as you go through the year. At the end of the year you have a record of what you actually spent money on and you then have a guide (and a paper trail to back up your budget increases) to set up your next budget from.
I can't post it here because I don't think it is a good idea to have the general public know what our costs are for supplies, but I can email it to you if you are interested.
We have also been quite successful with recruiting here. I started off this training season with 70 members. This is by no means one of the largest Units, but I no longer have a problem with getting new recruits. I can send you some ideas that are not already posted in other areas on this site if you would like. I also have a training schedule you can view. When I took over this Unit we only had 8 regular members, so I have an idea of where are coming from.

Martin

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I welcome all the help I can get! I have just started the MFR course (yeah) and it is very intense. My crusaders are going to be that ager soon, as well as my officers, so they will have to take it. I would like to gear most of our training towards this. As for the budget, please email me your template, martyb@sympatico.ca. I think this would be a great help!! Thanks, it is appreciated! Recruiting... what has worked for you?

Heather Oliver
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be interested in having a copy of that template if you dont' mind i could use it to help me. My email addy is heatheroliver341@hotmail.com

Hal Rowan

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have tried all kinds of styles of recruiting, and have had mixed results with each.

Our local mall has a sign up show every year at the beginning of September (or late August). Every youth organization, dance studio, dojo and skating club is out at this 3-4 day event. Cadet Units in nearby Whitby and Ajax usually help us out to cover all of the shifts. We threw in the Mobile First Aid Post right off the bat, it certainly attracts lots of attention (When you use Juniors to give the tour teens/adults feel less shy about climbing in to humour their young tour guides who have donned an SJA disaster hard hat to accompany their usual uniform). Everybody has a table, display board and a TV with lots of brochures, so we really have to make ours stand out. If you keep your display people standing (get rid of the chairs!) then guests are more likely to approach you (don't stand right in front of the display, and let them get a good look before you approach them to answer questions, they know you are there to help!). If you take the stretcher out of the Mobile it leaves more room to move around for the quick tour, and you can put an Actar or Annie on the stretcher with oxygen and a silver emergency blanket and maybe an open trauma bag between the "legs". Giving a demonstration of CPR, backboarding, KEDs, or even slings (use a coloured material if possible) is a really good idea. This gives people a good impression of what kind of training we give, and lets them feel more comfortable with browsing your display while everyones attention is on the demonstration. Don't just limit your displays to malls! Larger duties are a good place too using the same format. Cadets and their leaders can handle the display while the IPCP takes care of the actual duty (out of courtesy, make sure you get the clients permission first though!).

Schools are not bad, but be aware of the age you are chasing after. Use demonstrations mixed with your recruiting talk or they will get bored (they are in school after all!). Use your Cadets if possible to assist with demos such as bandages or vitals. Handing out printed material isn't bad, but have a sign up list so you can call them to remind them to show up for an orientation night, and make sure you really give a good first impression when they show up!

There are other methods that are already on this site, but these are the best bet. If you are recruiting adults for Cadet leaders, or the MFR Units then you have to change your method again. That would be a whole other posting here!

A sample display should be a part of the new Youth Leaders Course don't you think?

Hal Rowan

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, I recently completed the MFR course too and really enjoyed it! I have a Sergeant in my Division who also took the course (she is of Crusader age) and actually did better than I did. I am revising my training plan to make sure my Crusaders are set up to successfully tackle this new course.

Martin

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Hal. I am not sure about the school thing, I will give it a shot. A lot of people in London that are in school say that often times there will be people from different organizations just set up in the caf. That is ok for high school, but we are looking for ages 13-14. I in charge of what amounts to a crusader division, although I would like to start them a bit earlier. We too, are revising our training schedule to prepare crusaders for the MFR course. I am enjoying it, and it is definetely going to help us out!

Hal Rowan

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have someone (along with two ADULT assistants such as parents) with enough energy to run it, a Juniors program gives you a steady stream of new Cadets every year. I recommend you start with 8-10 (grade 3-5) year olds, and then go to 6-10 years (grade 1-5) when you get the bugs worked out. Your Juniors are already accustomed to how SJA works and have already picked up most of the first aid basics (and are great casualties). We have had a formal Juniors program running for the last three (plus a five month trial run) years. Recruiting for that age isn't even all that neccessary. I put a cap on membership but I still have 19 Juniors and turned away 6 until I get more help/space. In another year about half of them will become Cadets. I could give you more specifics if you need them.

Martin

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our RCSC really doesn't want us to start a junior program right away, he wants us to build the existing divisions first. It is a great idea, and eventually we would like establish a junior division. Right now though, I am having a tough enough time getting people to come out. Most of my members now are first year University students or last year high school. Projects, exams, etc are always the priority as they should be.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration