SUGGESTED CADET TRAINING SCHEDULE Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

StJohnOnline.ca / CadetsOnline.ca » Divisional Training Plans / Shares » SUGGESTED CADET TRAINING SCHEDULE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hal Rowan
Username: Hrowan

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 01:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had said I would do this previously, but here it is now. Attached is a sample training schedule for a Cadet Unit.

This gives a brief outline of what my Unit is using this year. It will change (as it does every year!) throughout the season, as opportunities present themselves and revisions are added (since I always keep my members guessing, as to what I am ACTUALLY going to cover!). However it gives a general idea of what you might want to add into your own Units plan.

For example, this year I am adding in a component on Emergency Preparedness during National Emergency Preparedness month. I noticed that the new SJA First Aid books have added in the brochure "72 hours" in the back of it. This gives a really good starting point for this component. I included websites you can view to beef up your lesson plans too.

I didn't include the actual lesson plans for each session of the meeting (my NCOs hand those in to me two weeks before the actual meeting), but I'll be uploading an overview of how a meeting might be run.

You can see other lesson plans in the Youth Leaders Manual, and I'm pretty sure they had some different ones available at the Youth Officers Course. This just gives you another version with some different ideas.

Our meetings are broken up into three main components that teams rotate through:
Team Building- members share stories on what duties they covered over the past week while handing in their hours, sign up for upcoming duties/camps/courses, discuss the Proficiency of the Week, and talk about the progress of anyone challenging their Duke of Edinburgh Award.
Brain Cramp- this is the training component that resembles a classroom setting. Usually there is a 5-10 minute lesson on the skill focused on that night, followed by a game of some sort such as Jeopardy, relays, etc.
Scenarios- This is where members get to try out their newly acquired skill. NCOs pick a scenario (their ideas are way more original than I could ever think up) and members are paired up as casualties and first aiders allowing everyone to switch roles half way through. We can usually get though two or three scenarios.

Our Crusader schedule loosely follows our local MFR schedule, but will hit all of the fun events that the Cadets participate in. There are also competition practices that aren't included in the schedule yet for both the First Aid and Drill teams.

If anyone else has some outlines available, upload them so that we can build up our training schedules and round out our program. If you don't want to use a current one, just upload what you used last year.

Feel free to tear this one apart and tell me what you like/dislike. I have no doubt it will change a few times before I actually start to implement it next month.

application/vnd.ms-excelTRAINING SCHEDULE Y0696 SE06_TO_JN07
TRAINING_SCHEDULE_Y0696_SE06_TO_JN07.xls (29.7 k)

Hal Rowan

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another sample Training Schedule for a Youth Unit. Feel free to make changes and use parts of it in your own Unit.

application/vnd.ms-excelYOUTH TRAINING SCHEDULE 2008 TO 2009
TRAINING SCHEDULE_SE08 TO JN09_Version 01SE08.xls (37.4 k)

Hal Rowan

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had a few people contact me on how to set up a Juniors Program within their Youth Unit. Attached is what worked well in my community. If you have questions then feel free to ask. Units with existing Juniors programs will have lots to add I'm sure.

application/mswordThe "Unofficial" Guide To A Juniors Program
THE UNOFFICIAL GUIDE TO A JUNIORS PROGRAM.doc (35.8 k)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration