Home Health Care Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

StJohnOnline.ca / CadetsOnline.ca » Divisional Training Plans / Shares » Home Health Care « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick Patterson
Advanced Member
Username: Rick_patterson

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody still teach it and is there still resource material out there. I have the books from when I took it, but I don't have course outline.

Mike Rumble, RPN
Username: Mrumble

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have an Instrucor guide for Family Health Care as well as the Handbook. You can also get Caring for the Sick from Clerkenwell. There's another title recommended by SJA... it's "Being a Home Health Care Aide" or something like that. I can get publisher details if you like. (I'm just reciting these titles from memory, the document I have that refers to the titles is at the office)

Rick Patterson
Advanced Member
Username: Rick_patterson

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks

Mike Rumble, RPN
Advanced Member
Username: Mrumble

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The proper document names are:

"Being a Homemaker/Home Health Aide" by Elana Zucker, Brady Publishing (available at bookstores at a cost of $40-$50)

"Caring for the Sick" by St. John Ambulance (UK), St. Andrew's Ambulance Association, and the British Red Cross Society, Dorling Kindersley (available through St. John Stores in the UK at a cost of $15 Cdn)

I have also uploaded the BTS Standards and Reference Guide to it's own thread in Divisional Training Plans/Shares and it is quite helpful.

Saskia Wilson
Username: Saskia

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just learnt home health care. But advice to the other divisions...If your gonna have a nurse teach it..find one with PERSONALITY. I remember last year when i learnt it...it was boring so boring that i skipped out on the last nite. You have to make it interesting..not just blah where you learn about making hospital beds and brushing teeth..Add some games in it to pratice so that way your learning and having fun.

Erin Eyre
Username: Ernie

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey sask, when we did home health care, we actually went to the nursing home where mom works, since she was teaching it. We had our meetings there during the summer instead of at St. John House. Next time you take the HHC, try and do something fun like that, if it's possible. It's a lot more fun getting hands on experience than just talking about it.

Saskia Wilson

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Erin, Thanks for the idea, Walter has been talking about doing it again for the new cadets and having the same person come in again. The nursing home in Fenelon is just down the road from where we are so it shouldnt be a problem getting there. Im gonna suggest it to him on Monday

Erin Eyre
Username: Ernie

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saskia, the cadets had such a good time. Being from the cadet division, it's hard to keep things interesting. We learned really quickly that this definitely keeps the interest level up. We also serve tea and toast to the residents now once a week to get the voluntary service proficiency for them. This way they get 2 proficiencies at the same time and have fun doing it.

Saskia Wilson

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm. That sounds like an even better idea! If only I had the brains to think of this kind of thing ;)
I know how borning it gets...after 4 years, i think i know ESM and how to splint like the back of my hand.

Heather Oliver
Username: Heather29

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, September 05, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think having a home health care course is good idea but dunno if i would be able to do it in the fort erie area can someone help me please and thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration