General Discussion on BTS Training wi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

StJohnOnline.ca / CadetsOnline.ca » Divisional Training Plans / Shares » BTS - Brigade Training System - Independent Patient Care Providers » General Discussion on BTS Training with Cadet Divisions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Saskia Wilson
Username: Saskia

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I dont know if any other division seem to be having this problem but has any other divsion found that all the crusaders are passing their BAP, but the adults can't pass it, even though their all trained by the same person?

Melissa Ying
Username: Mying

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A personal observation: People who are currently in school, just recently out of school, or who have careers that require constant professional development (like engineering or teaching) tend to have an easier time with the academic challenges posed by the BTS/BAP and any first aid training.

Thus, crusaders who are still in high school, college, or university are going to have a much easier time at the assessment portion (written test and practical test) than someone who has been out of school for more than a few years and can't devote as much time to studying or practising as they may like because they are juggling work, family, and volunteer responsibilities. But that's why we have this process this way.

Rick Patterson
Username: Rick_patterson

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personal observation.I see a lot of adults that believe that they should be given the BTS without working for it. IE they show up for two meetings expecting to be able to do the test.
I sometimes think there is more committment from cadets and crusaders than adults , it's to bad that somewhere along the lines it doesnt seem to carry over from youth to adults.

Victoria Joan Robinson
Username: V_robinson

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont want to offend anyone, but Cadets are better, that's all!! (sorry I am a proud cadet!!)

Saskia Wilson

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey vicki, judging from my division right now..we are better, And i agree with Rick. I have been to some of the adult meetings, and most of the adults DONT SHOW UP. They always have something "up". A lot of the adults have comittment...but they just feel as if they shouldnt have to "try" to be certified. And what gets me...is this years Level I is sooooo easy.

Rick Patterson
Username: Rick_patterson

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that the proud cadets and crusaders all over this country never loose that pride and carry it with them into the adult divisions. And for heavens sake when you get there don't be afraid to be movers and a shakers so that you don't let your members and divisions become like the Knights of Malta when Napolean walked in and be fat and unprepared for the battles that lie ahead....ok I'm getting off the soap box now...but you are the future

Mike Rumble, RPN
Advanced Member
Username: Mrumble

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In our division, youth with BTS outnumber adults with BTS. Currently our youth ARE better trained than our adults. I have no problems letting the youth members handle any emergency on duty (with proper supervision, of course). If I was injured, there are very few adult members I would trust for my treatment but I WOULD trust my cadets and crusaders.

Brian Yau
Username: Bnb

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

methinks the links for the standards and ref guides are broke and I would like to take a look at them (though I STILL am not old enough to take the BAP... gr)

anyone have a copy around?

Dean Lenz, EMDMgr, SBStJ
Intermediate Member
Username: Dlenz

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 02:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In BC Brian, we will allow those "under age" to take the assessment (if there is time permitting that does not interfere with those taking the test for certification) but they will not receive the certification until of age according to the directives...no harm in taking the test though, it is great practise.

I would echo most of the comments made here however our adult group does have a high pass rate, although I would tend to guess that our youth member pass/fail (OHHH sorry COMPLETE/INCOMPLETE) ratio is higher still.

Don Smith
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 04:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Links fixed... Thanks Brian

Mike Rumble, RPN
Advanced Member
Username: Mrumble

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 05:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that age matters much to obtain BTS certification. I believe I was 14 or 15 when I was first BTS-1 qualified (this was before the age cap of 16 was enforced). But independent patient care? We always had an adult on duty. But things in our division were VERY different back then, as there were duties where the adult on duty would have only SFA & CPR and I would be the "BTS member" at 15. Although I have no problem with ANY person obtaining BTS certification at ANY age so long as they meet the criteria set for everyone, I do not think they should be left to perform independent patient care.

Don Tai
Username: Dontai

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an adult IPCP I'd be happy to go on duty with any BTS-certified cadet/crusader. On some adult duties there may not be enough adult BTS IPCPs, so I don't get a partner. This happened at a large parade in Toronto this year. BTS certification is more important than age.

Each person makes the commitment to study, to pass the BTS, to attend meetings and duties. Or they don't. It is attitude, not age that is most important.

Tyler Mancuso
Username: Tmancuso

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Mikes Posting, BTS should be available for those that can successfuly complete it... Independent Care is another thing. I can tell you that I successfuly passed the BTS 1 at 11 years of age, with a 99% on the written, and Exceeds in most items on the practical. Was I old enough to do independent care, NO, but my skills were there. We also had the same problem where no adults had this level, nor were a lot of them able to complete the BTS, so the cadets had to!

Saskia Wilson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most the people in my divison trust us more then they do some of the adults, they said so themselves that they arent scared to leave me and my sister on duty for a while by ourselves. We've actually even treated by ourselves (didnt have a choice...too many pt's not enuf ppl) I do think that it partially has to do with age (and attitude) i've noticed that as the adults get older, they starting to lose their "talent"(if thats what you want to call it) a lot of them also are not as active on duties, field work has helped me a lot through out the 4 years where its to the point that @ cadet meetings im bored cuz i've seen it all...well pretty much, the only thing i HAVENT seen is death...

Ada Shang
Username: Mashimarobunny

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess for some people going through the bts testing is a great experience, prepares them well for the next step when crusaders become adult members. However, "independent care" or not, it really depends on the provider's confidence. (just a personal thought)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration