Professional ranks Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

StJohnOnline.ca / CadetsOnline.ca » Active Discussions - Youth Focus » Discussion Archive » Professional ranks « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert McKay
Username: Mckayrob

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there are ranks for MD's and RN's, but are there any other designations/ranks for other healthcare professionals? I am a Respiratory Therapist (RRT). RT's take a three year college program and are provincially regulated, just like nurses. RT's work in the hospital and in the homecare enviroment and deal with patients who have breathing problems and many other injuries/illnesses.

Michael Lawrence, RN
Username: Spud

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Robert,

this has been a topic discussed in the past (you can search through the archives... I don't remember the exact heading though). There are two roles within patient care units that are designated to be held by a medical doctor and by a registered nurse (divisional medical officer, and divisional nursing officer). You can look up their responsibilities on this website by going to the section that contains online manuals and resources, and then looking at the Brigade General Regulations.

As far as rank goes, not all nurses within a division are made to be the divisional nursing officer. In fact, when I first became a nurse, I remained as the divisional training officer of my division. It wasn't until I changed divisions that I assumed that role. Also, I know of nurses in a division that hold no rank at all. Holding rank is not dependent upon your professional titles, but based on your responsibilities within a division. As an RT your specific knowledge and professional skill set would be invaluable to your division, especially when assisting with training and preparation for BTS or the new Medical First Responder curriculum. Unfortunately, like our paramedics who also volunteer with us, there is no specific "divisional respiratory therapy officer" role ;)

Cheers,
Michael Lawrence, RN, BScN, ENC(C)
Divisional Nursing Officer,
Mississauga #504 Patient Care Division

Robert McKay
Username: Mckayrob

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I figured I'd ask anyways.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration