Our New Provincial Office
15 Toronto Street, 8th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5C 2E3

MFR Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

StJohnOnline.ca / CadetsOnline.ca » Active Discussions - Youth Focus » Discussion Archive » MFR « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

MTaylor
Username: Mtaylor

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the minimum age a member has to be to obtain there MFR?

Melissa Yingbull
Username: Mying

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

16 by national standards. May vary by branch and province.

MTaylor
Username: Mtaylor

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks.

Todd James Bradley
Username: Tjbrad

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the youth turn 16 are the required to take the MFR course.. I know with BTS they were not required (or were they...) I turn 16 in November and I no that I am personally not ready to take the MFR course, so I was wondering where things stand for that with the youth. And if they do not wish to take the MRF course will there still be some kind of BTS for us to take??

Melissa Yingbull

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the same as with the BTS. Youth 16-17 are not required to take the MFR course, just SFA.

Wing Yuen
Username: Wing_yuen

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wondering...if I took the BTLS offered by EMS, would it be recgonized by SJ?

William Woodstock
Username: Wwoodstock

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a quick answer.... No.

Melissa Yingbull

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took BTLS a few years ago and found it helpful and relevant information for SJ. As far as being "recognized" it doesn't replace anything SJA teaches, but having taken it might help you personally understand and reinforce principles taught by SJA and use them in the field, and to help you pass those on to others when you lead a teaching session. Having BTLS certification may, for example, make you a stronger candidate for MFR instructorship.

William Woodstock
Username: Wwoodstock

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But you also have to look at the price. I was talking to a friend of mine with Toronto EMS and he said that to take it with Toronto EMS it would cost $324.21 plus the shipping of the manual. This is a bit less than the A-MFR course but it doesn't teach you as much.

Melissa Yingbull

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTLS doesn't really 'teach' you anything new and isn't designed to teach new skills. It is a strong reinforcer of the priorities and processes taught in other courses, such as the MFR. It gives you a chance to pick the brains of another instructor. The price, though, may not be worth it unless you want the certification for other reasons. It is absolutely NOT a replacement for the MFR.

Brandon Taro Moyer
Username: The_man

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My question is even though the various branches say you have to be 18 to get MFR, can't you take the course or be allowed on one seeing as the age was dropped? Or do you have to follow what one branch says even know it's contrary to National? I know here in Guelph, the brigade wants you to be 18 to get MFR, but couldn't I technically get it now? Being that I'm 17.

Paul W. J. Irwin
Username: Pirwin

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rules made by a higher level of government or an organization can not be muted at a lower level. That would be like saying theft is not allowed in Canada, but it is allowed in this Canadian town.

If the rule is age 16, as set at the National level, then it is the responsibility of the subordinate levels to comply. They do not have the authority to override it. They may have funding issues, but they may not discriminate on the basis of age, as that would be a violation of law, not just policy.

If some wish to tell you something else, then they have been reading Animal Farm a few too many times, as some are not more equal than others.

As a youth in the community, it is part of what you have to learn. You have rights and responsibilities. If that might require that you help raise funds to facilitate the training of youth to the National standards, then work on it and make it happen.

"Be Good All Day"
Paul

Martin
Username: Marty

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, I love it! Animal Farm? I am in the same position, as a DS for a youth division, I am trying to get several of my members MFR. Our problem is finding a MFR instructor!

Martin

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, I love it! Animal Farm? I am in the same position, as a DS for a youth division, I am trying to get several of my members MFR. Our problem is finding a MFR instructor!

Jim Smith
Intermediate Member
Username: Jim

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 04:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A small point.
"The rules made by a higher level of government or an organization can not be muted at a lower level"
HOWEVER, a lower level may at it's discretion impose 'addition' restrictions/requirments on people.
But I would hope that would not be the case here.

Here in Ottawa the only 'additional' requirement is that a 16 year old should be on duty with an experienced member at the beginning.
DUH, we do that for all new MFR/AMFRs

Gordon D. Frowen
Intermediate Member
Username: Stryker65

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martin,
Have you found an instructor for MFR?
Where are you located?

Martin

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, Gordon, I was on vacation in Alberta. I am home now, and still on vacation. I only work 10 days this month! Love it!

I will have an instructor for MFR, we are getting everyone re-certified for SFA in May and then we will work on MFR for October (when we are not so busy). In London, we have at least 3 or 4 brigade MFR instructors, and others that are willing to help out. So we are looking in good shape.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration