Our New Provincial Office
15 Toronto Street, 8th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5C 2E3

Youth Leaders Conference Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

StJohnOnline.ca / CadetsOnline.ca » Active Discussions - Youth Focus » Discussion Archive » Youth Leaders Conference « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marika Beaumont
Intermediate Member
Username: Marika_beaumont

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do I do that? What can I do about this? I need some new ideas!!!! I know! I have great ideas!!!!

Sound confusing? Well, come to the Youth Leaders Conference to share and gain new ideas for training, programming, camps, recruitment, retention, fundraising. This one day event is to help us learn from each other the practical things to help our units run great!

When - April 14th 8:30 registration, 0900-1700 for all sessions
Where - University of Guelph (get a sneak peek at the Rally location)
Cost - to be finalized, likely $5.00 including lunch!
It'll be great - but only if you come!

Catherine Di Cesare
Advanced Member
Username: Catherine

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoy that Ontario Council seems to enjoy utlizing my almna-matter for so much lately!

Cathy
Intermediate Member
Username: Cmackay

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news, the cost is actually $0 for the entire day!!! You should be getting forms in the next few days, if you have not already received them.

Martin Bloor
Username: Martyb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone! I have a slight problem, hope some can help. I need to get to Toronto after the conference, I am coming from London. Is there anyone going BACK to Toronto that has an empty seat? I am more then happy to chip in for gas, that is not a problem.

Hal Rowan
Username: Hrowan

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to Oshawa afterwards.

Lots of room for you to hitch a ride. Don't worry about the gas, I've got to go through T.O. anyway!

Look for Hal Rowan at the conference and I'll get you back to Toronto.

Sarah Clarke
Username: Brigadesrocks

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does any one no if we have to wear our uniforms

Cathy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No you do not need your uniform.

Hal Rowan

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 01:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Ontario Council planning on holding another Youth Leaders Conference?

Marika Beaumont
Advanced Member

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was certainly the hope of the organizing committee from the past conference and the wishes of the attendees to make this an annual event. Please post any suggestions as to topics, format etc!

Hal Rowan

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 02:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Providing sample training schedules would be helpful. Especially with how to combine MFR training in the Cadet environment.

Marika Beaumont
Advanced Member

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2nd Annual Youth Leaders Workshop!!
Saturday April 12th
University of Guelph

We have some tentative topics and made some changes to the setup with more take home handouts. We'd love your feedback for topic ideas (Thanks Hal)

Matthew Dennis Wakem
Username: Smsja

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what time does the Youth Leaders Workshop at. it that is at the University of Guelph?

Matthew Dennis Wakem

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what time does the Youth Leaders Workshop start
at. it that is at the University of Guelph?

Marika Beaumont
Advanced Member

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 06:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Youth Leaders Workshop is at University of Guelph. It will have registration at 8:30 with first session at 9:00. We will be done by 5:00.

Matthew Wakem

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

will i get an certifacat?

Martin
Username: Marty

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since this is organized by us for us, I guess I COULD put something together, although it isn't something I can submit to Toronto to be a part of your service record.

Matthew Wakem

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so is this like a ledership corce or somthing like that? someone can call me on my home phone at 1-519-284-3066 to give me more info.

Thank you

Marika Beaumont

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The workshop is a one day opportunity for the Youth leaders or anyone interested in working with SJA Youth or knowing more about the program to attend. There are 4 workshops during the day which will consist of about a 1/2 hour presentation and then 1/2 hour time for questions and group brain storming. The groups are divided up into smaller sessions than last year so less noise and more chance to chat. Between the 4 main sessions are breaks with poster presentations about a wide variety of topics with one page handouts to take back. We have asked the main session presenters to also prepare information for you to take home on the day of.
I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like. I thought I'd answer you this way in case others had the same question. (marikabeaumont@rogers.com)
See you in April!

Russ Reid
Username: Peachycadet85

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

these youth leadership workshop may be great down towards guelph area, but what about us up near ottawa the trip to guelph would be 6-7 hours maybe more depending on the weather is there any way of having this workshop ran in the ottawa valley

Marika Beaumont

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi
We recognize that there is no easy place in the province to hold something like this which will be easy for everyone. We had over 40 participants last year from as far as Sudbury. It may be possible to host a similar event in the eastern part of the province if there is enough interest and a good facility. We'd have to check with the powers that be. Wouldn't it be nice to make this a road trip? Come on down the Friday night and meet some new folks. Perhaps your branch would cover the cost of a hotel for one night given that the workshop is paid for by Ontario Council. Perhaps there are members from Quebec that would come? I don't know about that relationship in the area.

Martin

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marika, if those in Quebec would like to attend, certainly they should, as long as their Council or branch is willing to pay for their expenses. I know my OWN branch would be upset about paying MY expenses to travel out of province, they don't even like paying for me to attend things in Guelph! And it's only about an hour away)

John Nayduk
Intermediate Member
Username: John_nayduk

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy cow, your branch pays for stuff for you!?!?!? Must be nice.

Martin

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not because they want to! And they don't pay for much! I am not sure exactly how many divisions are under London branch, but in London alone there are 7 altogether. And of course they need to pay for their own crap first! (won't go there on that one)

Jamie Osborn
Intermediate Member
Username: Dodgeboy

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On that note, does anyone know how to claim personal St. John Related expenses to Revenue Canada? I wish I was more diligent in saving receipts for my own out of pocket travel and equipment expenses last year, but this year I will be definitely keeping tabs on it. I can live comfortably enough that I don't need full reimbursement for it, and heck I know I wouldn't get it anyways but maybe using some of that towards increasing a nice taxable deduction at the end of the year might be an option worth looking into.....

Jamie

Martin

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish there was!! I already spoke to my accountant and he said no way jose! But the rules change so often that I always ask him... just in case. I think we SHOULD be able to claim SOME of the expense, I shudder to think what it has cost me to be a volunteer! We used to turn in our meal receipts when I was a cadet, but I am not sure if this was a divisional thing or what. Maybe Don Smith can shed a little light on that one for me.

Catherine Di Cesare
Username: Catherine

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamie and Martin, within a reasonable amount, my branch often would reimburse me for expenses such as if I had to buy lunch on duty, or take a cab if I had to go somewhere when the busses weren't running...

Martin

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be nice! Our branch won't go for things like that. I'd be happy if I got a photocopier! Our last one died and has not been replaced as of yet. Working on it though. We would get re-imbursed cab fare if I needed to get there in an emergency situation, happened once and I just turned in the receipt. So it happens with us sometimes. I'm going to have to work on that. London is VERY different on how certain things work (I'm sure a few eyes rolled).

Martin

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamie (and everyone) I have a date for our own little get-together! Sunday, April 20th I have a full room available! I we could start around 10am and go until whenever (i have the room all day). I will need to know how many people are coming so I can make sure we have enough parking (we'll most likely use our compound instead of the regular parking lot) Please email me your name and email address to martyb@sympatico.ca

Martin

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

correction to above email address for Sunday April 20th. Please use my new email address: Martin.Bloor@on.sja.ca . I have booked our large room, so I have room for 30-40 (or more if need be) people. THere are few places within walking distance for lunch, and several places within a short (less then 5 minutes) driving. All youth leaders welcome! Starts at 10am (if you want to come but live a longer distance away, feel free to arrive late) Just let me know you are coming and I will ensure you have a seat.

Doug Keith
Username: Thumper

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Registration is light at this time for this 1 day Youth Leaders Workshop being held at the University of Guelph on Saturday April 12th. This free workshop is a great forum to learn from experienced Leaders and to voice your own ideas as well. See what other around the Province can offer you and let them know what you have to offer.

Get your registrations in soon. The registration package is available on the web site.

Doug Keith
Provincial Youth Program Advisor

Cathy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone, the Mississauga Division will be staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites. If you would like to join us for drinks in the bar (at the hotel), we will be there around 9pm.

Marika Beaumont

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 04:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget - this event is uniform free as well as simply being free!
See you there

Martin

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone. I am looking forward to Saturday! But that allows us to stop for coffee along the way. As I mentioned before, I am planning a session in London, focusing on recruiting. I have plenty of seats available but I need to know how many people are planning on attending so I can be sure to have enough coffee and parking! Date for our recruiting discussion is Sunday, April 20th and we'll start about 10am so those who may have to travel have time to get there. Please let me know if you plan to attend Martin.Bloor@on.sja.ca

Cathy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Change in Plans, the Mississauga Division will be staying at the Detla Hotel on Stone Road.... Fairfield Inn & Suites has no BAR :-(. If you would like to join us for drinks in the bar (at the hotel), we will be there around 9pm at the DELTA ON STONE ROAD

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration