Our New Provincial Office
15 Toronto Street, 8th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5C 2E3

Cadet Drill Team Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

StJohnOnline.ca / CadetsOnline.ca » Active Discussions - Youth Focus » Discussion Archive » Cadet Drill Team « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Dennis Wakem
Username: Cadet1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello every one,
i was hoping on starting a drill team in st. Marys. I was woundering if any one elese has started a team.
i would hope that soon we can have a drill team compatichion.

please let me know what you think.

Matthew Wakem
St. Marys SJA

William Woodstock
Username: Wwoodstock

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Matthew. When I was in the youth program we had a drill team. In fact each cadet division in my region had a drill team and we had our own drill competition. I dont know if it still happens or not. You would have to talk to your D.S to see if you would be allowed to start one up or not.

Matthew Dennis Wakem

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey william. I did talk to my D.S and he said it was fine. Im am not sure what to do next.
could you help me by giving me some ideas on what to do. thanks

Matthew Dennis Wakem

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey william,

i talked to Mel Hazlewood the RCSC
he said it was ok to start a team.

William Woodstock

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, well your giong to have to get some cadets who are interested in doing it in the first place. After that you will have to get ahold of the drill manual that Toronto sja made up a few years back. Im not sure where to find it right now, but Im sure if I did some digging I could do it. It will take time for them to learn the proper movements, when I did my basic training for the military we spent days getting the movements right, and then weeks perfecting the movements and learning to work together and do it all at the same time, so you will have to be patient. You yourself will have to learn the movements yourself before teaching them, you cant teach something you dont already know. Ill see if I can find the manual on the site somewhere within the next few days.

Russ Reid
Username: Peachycadet85

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drill manual i do have a copy of this you need this let me know and i will e-mail it to you

peachycad85@yahoo.com

Hal Rowan
Username: Hrowan

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I did this right, here is the link on this site to the drill manual: http://stjohnonline.ca/intranet/messages/12/481.h tml?1040264052.
It can be found under the manuals/guidelines/resources section in the "general" heading.
If you have enough people, try forming two small drill teams of maybe six to eight people and have a "mini" competition. If there is a Unit close by then you could combine your teams to form one main group. Make sure you have a clear written marking guide so that everyone knows what the expectations are ahead of time.
The drill team was surprisingly popular when I was DS, you'll probably have the same result.
Good luck!

John Nayduk
Username: John_nayduk

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could make friends with someone in a reserve unit or a military cadet corps and try to get a copy of CFP201 - The Manual of Drill and Ceremonial.
I'm out of the country right now so I won't be able to help out until at least mid-April.
Maybe we could try to put together a drill competition to give everyone something to shoot for.

William Woodstock

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John- St. John Ambulance has their own drill manual. As a member of the CF, I know that the drill we do, and the drill I was teaching as a "Drill Sergeant" with the SJA cadets were different in some ways.

Ryan Mclean
Username: Ryan_mclean

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey matt if u need a hand with anything let me know i have drill manuals
your pals from woodstock

Bonnie McIntosh
Username: Bonnie_mcintosh

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the offer.... I know matt already has the drill manuals.

Matthew Dennis Wakem

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ryan-I might need some help teaching at pracitces
i will contact you if i need help. thank you

Matthew Dennis Wakem

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ryan-could you come to our drill team practice tomorow @ 6:00pm. the cadets will be in there training uniform i will be in full dress. i plan on showing them a movie caled CADET KELLY and then teach them some drill moves-that is where i will need your help. i want it to be a surprize to see what they do. please call my tonight at
1-519-284-3066.

thank you

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration